Ride A Bike - Infinite Miles Per Gallon
It's frightening how comfortable we are in America with driving. Need to go somewhere? Let's hop in the car! Doesn't matter if it's only a mile away - still we drive. Bikes are the most efficient machines in the world in regards to moving people without needing any external form of energy. Using our own body as fuel to get around is the best way to get from point A to point B and bikes are the fastest way of doing that. Not only is it great for the environment but it's good for you. And oh hey, it's also fun!
Riding bikes can also be good for your budget. You can't ride everywhere but we should all try to find ways to do less with vehicles and focus more on other options. Whether it's walking, riding a bike, or something else. Not only will our wallet thank us, but our health and the environment will thank us too. Cars serve an important purpose, to travel the distance between what we can't walk or bike and the distance we have to fly. Driving can be easier, but it doesn't mean it's the best. In the end, nothing beats the bike.
Why bike instead of drive:
- Save Money: When you ride a bike instead of driving you save money. To the tune of $7,219 in 4 years according to this Bankrate article. How is that possible? Well you save on gas and all the expenses of owning the car, including car maintenance. If you can find a way to bike enough you don't need a second or third car you'll save even more on the amount you would have paid for those cars and the insurance.
- Lose Weight: Hey...I thought this was a finance blog - yeah it is, but it's also about living your best life. Losing weight and staying in shape is just as important as your financial freedom. It's a great way to be Phy-nancially fit!
- Live more: Ever been stuck in traffic and want to blow a head gasket? When it's just you and the bike its hard to get caught up in things that don't matter. Including other people's driving, the radio, and anything else that distracts you in a car. Ride on.
- Inconvenience is good: Riding your bike might take a little longer than driving...maybe. Often it doesn't, and people just don't think to do it. Even if it does take a bit longer or a bit more planning, there is so much to be gained from riding a bike instead of driving. There is something about hopping on a bike, strapping in, and feeling the wind in your face that makes you feel alive. If you don't know what I am talking about than you've never ridden a bike. There is a reason there are bike tours around cities, it's a great way to explore your surroundings.
- Be adventurous: We were born to explore, not sit in cars. Driving around in a steel cage isn't adventurous. Flying down a hill at 30 MPH is...dare to adventure! People will say commuting on a bike is dangerous. Well yeah, but so is driving in a car.
Riding your bike isn't always the easiest means of transportation, but it is undoubtedly the most efficient. I try to bike or walk whenever and wherever I can instead of driving and it's great for my personal wellness as well as our families financial wellness. That's investing in what matters and living life differently.